donderdag 23 april 2020

Dessert Cobbler

 
Two years ago I spent a week at the bodega of Gonzalez Byass in Jerez. In those days I learned everything there is to know about sherry from the godfather of sherry himself, Antonio Flores.

Back home I started using sherry in cocktails more often. I absolutely love a Velvet old Fashioned with PX sherry, but also learned that whisky and Amontillado sherry are a pretty good mix. Some days I couldn’t be bothered and just poured myself a cool glass of fino. The only thing I had never done before was mix a real sherry cocktail. It was about time to do that.

The most classic sherry cocktail is probably the Sherry Cobbler. This is a pre-prohibition cocktail which has changed a lot through the years. In my oldest cocktailbooks they just take a glass with crushed ice, dust some sugar over it and add a few shots of sherry. Garnish with berries. That’s it. Today it’s a slightly more complex sherry-cocktail, still served with berries on top.

“Sherry, sugar and citrus, shaken, poured over crushed ice and slurped through a straw, the Cobbler is thought to have originated sometime in the 1820s or early 1830s” (Punch)

It’s also a cocktail for bartenders to alter and create their own version of it. I have tasted some really fantastic rum cobblers in Belgium’s best cocktailbars. For my home-version I also had to play with the recipe because normally the base is oloroso-sherry, which I didn’t have at home. So I searched my liqueur-cabinet for the next best thing. I was also out of crushed ice, so had to settle for ugly small cubes. The result was what I would call a “Dessert Cobbler”, slightly sweeter than the original, but nevertheless pretty good 😉

Dessert Cobbler

Ingredients
60 ml Gonzalez Byass Cristina (Medium Sherry)
15 ml Gonzalez Byass Nectar (PX Sherry)
5 ml Maraschino liqueur
5 ml Sugar syrup
7,5 ml pineapple juice
7,5 ml orange juice

Method
Shake with lots of ice. Strain in a glass with small icecubes or shaved ice. Garnish with mint, strawberries and blueberries. Use a metal straw, it will also get chilled by the ice.

Disclaimer
: All pictures and texts are copyrighted by Geert Conard and Esito Management & Communications unless stated otherwise in the article. While some items might have been gifted by the producer or distributor, these are in no way paid promotions or recommendations.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten